Me and my boyfriend are Food Network & Cooking Channel Addicts. This is us to be exact..
I know somebody feels me right now.
So, I have started to nonchalantly use the words “compote” and “curd” in normal conversation about food.
(picks up plate of taco salad)
Me: Here we have a taco salad with grilled chicken, black beans, and shredded cheddar, topped with a tomatoey taco compote drizzle (obviously talking about taco sauce).
Matt: You are ridiculous you know that right?
So, last night I decided to cheat on my 21 day fix diet and make some cupcakes. And as I joked about the type of cupcakes I was going to make, I decided it was time to make something where I can ACTUALLY use my new terminology. So, I have for you:
White Cupcakes filled with Strawberry Compote Topped with Chocolate Ganache
Now, I know there is some cray terminology in there, but picture these as a white cupcake filled with strawberry jam topped with chocolate.
- 1 box white cake (makes 24 cupcakes) and ingredients needed to make – I cheated and didn’t make homemade cake..
- 2 Cups of frozen or fresh strawberries
- 1/2 Cup of Sugar
- 2 tsp Corn Starch
- 1 oz Water
- 12oz Semisweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- Cook cupcakes according to the directions on the box. Let them cool completely before messing any more with them!
- On the stove, cook the strawberries and sugar until it is boiling. Let it cook for about 10 min (this should give time for the frozen strawberries to be completely cooked!)
- Mix together the water and cornstarch then add that to the strawberry mixture (TADA – COMPOTE!!) Let that cook for about 2 more minutes. Take it off the burner and let it cool completely before piping it into the cupcakes. (I stuck mine in the freezer).
- After the cupcakes and strawberry compote are cooled, pipe the compote into the middle of the cupcakes through the top of the cupcakes. I was out of piping bags so I used a gallon sized bag and a jagged star tip. Try not to overfill the cupcakes or they will blow up. (Yep, I did that).
- After you filled them all with strawberry compote, make the ganache. In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips with heavy whipping cream, butter, and vanilla. When that is smooth and creamy cut it off. Carefully dip the tops of your cupcakes into the ganache (or spoon the ganache on top of the cupcakes). As these cool, the ganache will become thick and harden.
VOILA, you can share with people your super cool new food network terms through these yummy cupcakes. And let me tell you, they are easy and delicious!! I have never piped anything into cupcakes and this was fun, easy, and they turned out great!!
So, take a little cheat, make some cupcakes, and enjoy your MLK holiday!!
Also, I have a newly updated Pinterest Account. Link below – give me a follow!! I’m going to update it with my blogs, clean eating ideas, DIY projects, and any other thing I’m interested in!!